Tuesday, June 16, 2015

MY MIXED UP BRAIN

Although my memory degeneration is still quite slow strange things are happening.This mainly concerns using completely the wrong word for something. Strangely I am usually aware of the mistake and the correct word replaces the error quite quicky. Thus the other day I said 'Where is the squirrel ?'; wheras what I meant was 'Where is the key?' Names and faces are the most obvious in my memory loss and this can be very embarassing because even those who know that I have Alzheimer's dont understand how I could possibly forget them Sadly, the inevitable 'progression' into deeper loss is happening and I certainly don't relish what the future holds. However, I am grateful for my many blessing and live each day as if it were my last.In fact I have had a very good run since dementia first appeared over ten years ago. Winter has now definately come here inPaarl with tons of rain and howling storms. Of course after eight months of drought one must be grateful. Electricity cuts of about two hours happen almost every day now in South Africa. The first signs of shortages to come is the fact that there is no penicilin in the country and no drugs for babies with TB. We also now have no gas for cooking because the tanker that arrived in Cape Town harbour couldn't get clearance to offload and so, after waiting some days he sailed away to some other country who also needed gas and presumably were more acomodating and more organized. The electricity cuts will continue for several years a government spokesperson recently said. How South Africa will be able to grow the economy is a mystery. Many small businesses are in serious difficulties because of the loss of trading hours.What a tragedy that Madiba's dream of a multicultural and prosperous society should be fraying round the edges. However, it is still a great country with wonderful weather and Africans are perhaps the best singers and dancers in the world. The people of colour in my area are friendly and charming and work very hard to educate their children, but with youth unemployment of over 40% there is a lot of disatisfaction and concern for the future. Julian is very busy with her dressmaking and this is a very busy time for matric dresses and the wedding hire is growing steadily. The dogs are well and as I type I can hear Bobby the parrot chattering away. David Barnato. Paarl. South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment