Thursday, October 16, 2014

DEMENTIA. MEMORY AND COGNITIVE ABILITIES DO NOT DECLINE IN SYNCROMESH

It is now over ten years that I have been affected by dementia. By healthy living, prayer and meditation I have managed to reduce my memory loss to a drip a day and hopefully defer Alzheimer's until after I am dead.However the daily drip for ten years means of course that I have forgotten quite a lot of things, but I manage very well. Memory loss is strange. I can remember the names of people that I only knew slightly from over sixty years ago, but odd people that I knew very well, I struggle without success to remember their names. Most memory loss though is recent, even for example what we did last Christmas. Or sometimes the names of relatives including sometimes my kids! Considering how stressful they can be I just don't understand it, although on second thoughts perhaps my memory is rejecting unwelcome things! To aid me in day to day living, Julian bought me one of those boxes in which you put your pills needed each morning and evening. I have been amazed at how many times when I thought that I had taken my morning tablets they were still in the little box. The pill box is a very good idea and one of the first steps that should be taken when dementia is diagnosed. The other, is of course a diary. Regarding cognitive abilities, I don't think that these have been much affected, as I can still perform most tasks. For example I still drive and in my opinion very well. Julian however has refused to travel with me any more and insists on taking over the driving. This came about because completely by accident, when I turned onto the motorway I took the wrong sliproad and found myself facing oncoming traffic. The amount of hooting was ridiculous and because I am still very quick witted I was able to swerve onto the grass motorway division. In my opinion this is ample evidence, that despite one small mistake I am stil perfectly fit to drive. The weather here has turned cold again, but the rain is welcome for the garden. However, Boysie is very disappointed that it is still too cold to swim. Bobby the parrot has been full of nonsense. We recently introducesd a few peanuts into his diet and as a result he spits out his usual breakfast, which is a piece of apple and disdainfully lets it fall to the ground. I think he needs a shrink!

No comments:

Post a Comment