Thursday, October 23, 2014

THE VAGARIES OF MEMORY

It's strange that even though I am now more aware of the dripping away of my memory, the losses are not across the board. For example, I often forget what I have recently done, or what I was about to do, but I almost invarioubly remember my responsibilities, such as feeding the dogs or the parrot. Also watering the garden is almost second nature and it is thus tempting to think that it is things that one has done regularly for a long time that are most remembered. Yet, I remember even the unlleasant things like an appointment with the dentist the other day to have a tooth out. Also, my writing ability does not appear to have diminished and having just finished my book of poetry I have started on a new book; 'The Best Of Times.' This will be a trilogy covering fifty years, and the point of the title is that despite the challenges of life the best of times are always with us. When I reflect on my own situation of slowly, but steadily growing dementia a faint shadow will cross my mind, and yet it is quickly banished when I consider what a full and interesting life I have led. Curiously, dementia has increased my abiity to see within myself and to recognize that happiness is always with us somehow, if we seek it. Even in the worst of ties there is something to be grateful to God for. An example of this is that although I have dementia I am grateful that it hasn't yet at least become Alzheimer's and frankly I expect to keep that enemy at bay until after I am dead! The weather here in Paarl is beautiful, not too hot, perfect in fact at about 30%. Bobby the parrot loves this weather and is full of his usual nonsense of being picky about his food. He used to love his piece of apple as a starter for breakfast, but now he takes it from my fingers, but then let's it drop into the bottom of his cage. He has now got me trained and I give him a peanut instead. Dogs are fine and full of mischief as always. The onnly funny event was that I was invited to join the German Choir. I love singing, bt my German is very limited, but I think that I will pick it up. David Barnato. Paarl. South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment