Wednesday, October 29, 2014

MEMORY, HAPPINESS AND GRATITUDE

For most people happiness is a remembered thing. One consequence that I have found of being a dementia person is that happiness can be grasped and enjoyed even more in the present, if one is aware. For me the beginning of that awareness came when I overcame the initial shock and depression that comes with the diagnosis of dementia and the knowledge of the possibility of Alzheimer's to follow. My feelings forced me to look within myself and to value the things that I needed to be grateful for. There were so many! Every single day something good had happened, even if it was only that things were not as bad as they could have been. From this came daily gratitude and thanks to God for all my blessings. This led on to much reflection about my life and the fullness that I had enjoyed and the challenges dealt with, sometimes well and sometimes not so well. However, in addition to forgiving others for wrongs inflicted one must forgive oneself and this can be very hard indeed, but a very important step to the awareness of happiness. We have had wonderful weather here in Paarl. About 30% and lots of sunshine. owever rain is forecast for tomorrow and that will be very welcome as I have recently re-seeded my two small lawns. The green shoots are everywhere and give such joy. We are all well. Boysie had his first swim this week in the pool. I put my foot in, but that was quite sufficient, as it turned rather blue. The pool is rather sheltered by trees, which is very nice when eating or reading, but reduces the warming effect of the sun. Still one can't have everything. David Barnato. Paarl. South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment